Thursday 2 April 2020

Beneath the Radar - Great games that not everyone has played

I am returning to my blog a long time after my last post. With the current global lock-down over Covid 19 why not get my creative juices flowing. When I say my creative juices, I of course mean something that I heard on PS I Love You XOXO on Kindafunny PodCasts.
They decided to discuss games that they thought were great games that not everyone will have played. This was a topic that immediately sparked something in my mind and I started thinking of a number of games that I loved, but they may have only got middling scores from reviewers. Like I have said in the past, reviewing is subjective and one person may see something others do not.

So here is a list of games that i really enjoyed that may not have been Massive Blockbusters:
Army of Two PS3 *in Good Condition* 5030930059521 | eBay
Army of Two: Look at a game like Saints Row compared to GTA. Army of Two is the Saints Row to the GTA of cover shooters (such as Gears of War). It is over the top, silly and brilliant. It did not take itself at all seriously but in doing so, made itself unique. Everything in the game was solid enough but not genre defining. I loved it so much that I bought the two sequels ('the Devils Cartel' killed the franchise so avoid). If you have a buddy round and want to play a light version of Gears of War for enxt to nothing, grab Army of Two. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Buy Outlast Steam CD Key for a Cheaper Price! Visit! | ENEBA
Outlast: This is a throwback to proper survival horror. While Resident Evil had gone all guns blazing and you tended to blast your way through games, Outlast made you want to hide in a locker... literally. The story of the game is possibly a little strange and far fetched and toward the end a bit naff, but the gameplay is great.
Investigative Journalist breaks into a mental asylum that is overrun by crazy people who get more bonkers as you go on. You have no weapon, cannot fight and so you have to run. The enemies can kill you in one attack so you have to sneak, hide and think you way through areas. I played with a friend who literally refused to play the game and hid behind a pillow (looking at you Josh). You can find videos of people playing the game and I promise you the screams are real. The sequel did not touch the same nerve but still worth a play.

Condemned: Criminal Origins | PC Steam Game | Fanatical
Condemned Criminal Origins: Scares aplenty and decent combat held together by a solid story. Another good horror game on my list (are most of these underrated?). This was a little bit faster paced than Outlast but had a different feel. I will admit that this games maybe doesn't stick with me as much as Outlast but I feel it deserved more recognition.

Deadly Premonition - Wikipedia
Deadly Premonition: Or Twin Peaks the Game as it may as well ahve been called. Even the developer has said it was inspired by the TV series and it is very obvious once you get into it. One issue I had was the opening 30 minutes to an hour. You are out in the wildness with demons but no real explanation. Once you arrive in 'Twin Peaks' mark 2 you will see why this game is a homage to the TV show. You play an FBI detective (Tick) in town to solve a strange death (Tick), things get weird with bizarre locals (Tick) with many a sub plot happening all around you (Tick). Combat is a bit meh but overall the games pacing is on point. Gaming journalist and Internet personality Alanah Pearce @charalanahzard says this is one of her favourite all-time games (apologies if I have miss quoted but pretty sure this is accurate)

Spec Ops: The Line on Steam
Spec Ops - The Line: The reason I think this game is not thought of in higher esteem is that it had a plot. A plot that actually is hard to digest (in a good way from my point of view). I was not expecting a game like this but was amazed by the credits. The shooting is maybe a little loose compared to other shooters in the same time frame but good enough to pull you through the story. The age rating on the game was deserved but if you like your films a bit more Christopher Nolan than Michael Bay this is for you.

I will update this if more come into my head. If you have any games you think belong on this list let me know. I admit some like Mirror's Edge would be on my list but I never played it (sorry people). On this basis I cannot really comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment