Thursday 2 April 2020

Ghost Recon Breakpoint - In Review

Ghost Recon Breakpoint Road Map Released, Update TU 1.1.0 Will ...

How do you review a game that keeps evolving? This happens more and more with games that on Day 1 get mixed reviews and underachieve but come in 6 months later and the landscape is completely different. Breakpoint probably falls into this catagory.
I enjoyed Ghost Recon Wildlands which proceeded this game, so I went in with some high (above middling lets say) expectations. Playing a short period of this game and I was lost. The feeling of the game while familiar was also different to Wildlands. This is not to say it is better or worse, just different. Look at Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 5. Both good games but there are differences that are for good and worse.
Firstly the story. Wildlands I honestly have NO idea what the story was. didn't care, something to do with drug cartels i think. It did not matter to me, the island, combat and tactics made the game so much fun. In Breakpoint I will admit the story held me a little more. The villian of the game is set very early on which, for me, allowed a better core understanding of the reasoning behind what you were doing and why. This was lacking in Wildlands Drug Cartel story.
While Wildlands had the Unidad, a local military that would swarm you leading to me pretty much fleeing, Breakpoint has moved into the 21st century. Mechanical enemies are now the hardest enemies that you will discover on the island. Often you can be going about nothing, just walking from A to B when a Drone will fly overhead. Get spotted and before you know it mini drone tanks, flying drones and Wolves (highest tier military) will be all around pinning you down. It always keeps you on edge.
ArtStation - GHOST RECON BREAKPOINT - BEHEMOTH, Joe Gloria
One thing that may negatively impact fans of Wildlands is the weapon levels. This has now been patched a little but for me it doesn't work as well with it turned off. In Wildlands you start with base loadout. to get weapons and upgrades you storm bases and find pieces across the world. Decide you want to be a sniper you need to search for the best rifles and scopes, tripods etc. to make you ultimate weapon. Breakpoint you pick up weapons through the game but these may be the same as what you had but a higher level. This is common in many games and is fine when you play. the issue is they don't appear to be any more powerful, they just say they have a higher level. As I said this has now been patched in an update that allows you to turn weapon level off. The problem is that you cannot carry multiple weapons. You find a new one in the game, prefer what you have and so leave it. But this leads to the issue when in comes to buying add ons. The main way to get currency is selling weapons. if you do not pick them up you cannot sell them. It kind of spoils the game. Not sure this was thought out during development. It worked better in Wildlands (my advice is to stick with gear level as I find it best of both worlds and I could always find a weapon I liked and move up levels).
Overall the two games are similar yet different enough to make them both worth playing. Both have detailed and well populated worlds. However I have read Wildlands fans not liking Breakpoint. I love both games and have sunk loads of hours into both. I will say that I much prefer Breakpoint on my own as the story is a bit more engaging.
A discount purchase recommendation from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment